In the last two blogs we discussed how there are a set of circumstances emerging that is forcing leaders to reconsider how they can be most effective now and into the future. This, we explained, was being driven by two factors.
The External Environment which is moving from
- Local to Global Economy
- Left Brain to Right Brain Education
- Survival to Abundance
- Acceptance to Meaning
The Internal Environment explained the human impact of
- Multiple Careers
- Involvement with Creative Endeavors
- Feeling Valued
- Having Fun
So, given that this is how the environment is being shaped, what does this mean for leadership effectiveness in the 21st Century?
This new leader will be much more focused on connecting with all aspects of the business through a variety of skills and talents that will manifest through the following:
- Collaboration – the traditional directional style will simply not be tolerated. People want a team approach with a view to leveraging the abilities of the collective whole.
- Appropriate Behavior – leaders alone will not require the intellectual ability to run an organization but also must possess the emotional intelligence to truly connect with all those around them. Understanding how thoughts and feeling impact behavior will be a key driving force.
- Transformational – leaders will be required to have a presence that truly reflects progressive change and an environment where people are inspired rather than simply motivated. Doing the right thing will reign supremely over doing things right.
- Big Picture – forget about the details; you will be surrounded by people who will look after this. Being able to synthesize rather that analyze and provide the true guidance will be the leadership differentiator.
These qualities have been around for many years; progressive leaders who saw the benefits for themselves have long been using them. For everybody else there is a paradigm shift taking place; call it change forcing change. This shift demands a new approach; one that is long overdue but which represents a step in the right direction for true leadership.